Tuesday, January 20, 2015

1800s "Sadie" Mourning Bonnet & Fan


1800s "SADIE" MOURNING BONNET

I couldn't believe I actually ran into this mourning bonnet. I got it for $20.00 a women who looked to be in her 80s. She thought I was crazy for buying it for that price. She thought she marked it really high. That was a steal because most of the hats usually can sell from anywhre from $90 to $500.
"Sadie" is a full mourning bonnet in the bebe' style, based on an original in my collection.  She has a wired and blocked buckram base, covered in silk and overlaid with crape.  The decorations consist of folds of crape and shirred grosgrain ribbon, as on the original.  This shape is appropriate for the 1870's into the early to mid 80's. 


  



Back View


Inside View
Top View. 



This fan is in wonderful shape the age. I also found this at an estate sale. I bought it for $10.00. 







 



No comments:

Post a Comment